Prevent an Uncool Summer Air Conditioning Breakdown
By John Voket
In a recent release from Lisa Townsend (westpearinteriors.com) your RIS Consumer Confidant was reminded that while we love our air conditioner on sweltering summer days, a lot of folks do not consistently maintain their AC system, resulting in very uncool situations.
The good news, Townsend relates, is that there are preventative measures homeowners can take to keep their A/C system in tip-top condition all summer long. Here's a list of five proven tips to help keep you cool all summer long:
1. Change your filter every 60 days. Townsend says some people will go an entire year without changing their AC’s air filter. As a direct result, their unit works harder using more energy, and it can cause the unit to spew tiny particles of dirt, dust and debris into the air, increasing indoor air pollution.
2. Monitor the refrigerant levels to ensure proper dehumidifying. As a direct result, you end up pulling some of the moisture out of the air and that helps to keep the rooms in your house comfortable, day and night, all summer long.
3. Clean the coils a couple of times per year. This can help keep the air in your house cleaner; it can reduce electricity consumption; and can also make your unit more efficient while increasing its lifespan.
4. Vacuum the air ducts. If you happen to notice that there is mold or mildew, or you have a clogged-up system, simply clean the air ducts. Townsend says you can do that by vacuuming them out. Many websites provide easy-to-follow instructions on how to accomplish this easy maintenance chore.
5. Have a professional check-up. The benefits of an AC tune-up are vast. Professional technicians can detect issues that you may not discover including small leaks or wiring problems. Townsend says set up an appointment with a reputable technician to come and check that unit out.